The CFNA Skillshare pop-up initiative connects resident volunteers looking to share knowledge with other residents searching for knowledge. Our goal is to connect Central Frederick residents through knowledge and promote neighbourly helping. Our skillshare volunteer instructors aren’t necessarily ‘experts’ but they have spent time and resources discovering, learning and doing things related to the topics they are talking on, so you can learn from their direct experience. Some of our workshops are informational, some are demonstrations and others are more practical hands-on make and takes.
Environmental Skillshare Series
We are proud to announce that through an environmental grant from the Region of Waterloo we are doing a series of Environmental Skillshares throughout the spring, summer and fall of 2019. Check out more information below and stay up to date on our facebook events page.
Making Beeswax Wraps
- May 14. 7-8:30 pm. Downtown Community Centre
- Join us for a make and take beeswax wrap session with your host All Things Preserved. This session is all about using beeswax to preserve food in a sustainable way.
Central Frederick Pollinator Pathways
- May 23. 6:30 – 8.30 pm. Downtown Community Centre
- Nicola Thomas of Grand River Food Forestry to help residents learn about Pollinator Pathways and how to “grow” a pollinator neighbourhood.
Planting Salad Bowl in a Pot
- June 8. 1-2 pm. 140 Krug Street
- Join your hosts Susan and Paula for this skillshare where you will be planting lettuce and tomatoes in pots. Soil, Pots, lettuce seeds and a tomato plant will be provided. Come see what Paula has already growing in her front yard pots.
- This event is free. Spots or limited. Reserve yours today- Register
Bike Repair Drop-In
- June 9. 2-3 pm. Back Playground Suddaby School
- Join us for a bike repair skillshare drop-in with Recycle Cycles, come learn basic bike repairs and get your maintenance and repair questions answered, just in time for biking season.
- June 29. 3- 4:30. 22 Brubacher Street
- This skillshare is for neighbourhood kids (and their parents). Come join your host, Shane to make your very own birdhouse from scratch and take it home to put it up for your bird friends to enjoy. Kids must be accompanied by an adult for the full duration of the skillshare.
- This event is free, spots are limited. Reserve yours today- Register
Solar Power At Home
- July 7th. 10:30 am- Noon. 80 Krug Street
- Solar power is a great energy alternative for powering elements of your home. For this event in our CFNA Environmental Skillshare series, join your host, Scott, to learn the basics of on-grid and small off-grid solar power systems. There will be discussions of on-grid system design/cost/options and sizing/design of a small off-grid power system with some hands-on access to the equipment.
Building a Rain Garden
- September 29th. 10 am. 101 East Ave.
- Installing a rain garden outside of your home is not only rain smart for its environmental benefits, but it can also increase the amount of wildlife found in your yard. Join your hosts, REEP Green Solutions as they install a rain garden in our neighbourhood. You will have an opportunity to learn about the theory and practical use of rain gardens and see first hand how they are installed.